I had not noticed this until a regular source in the president's office informed me that Robert Mugabe put on a bullet-proof vest to visit Tsvangirai in hospital at the Avenues Clinic in Harare.
Apparently, when news of the accident came and it was confirmed that the Prime Minister was injured but alive, Mugabe announced to his astonished security team that he would be visiting the Prime Minister at the Avenues Clinic.
At first, security advised against it, and pointed out that the circumstances around the accident were still murky. Mugabe insisted.
So the usual anonymous advance team was dispatched to the hospital. When they arrived, there was a crowd outside, people who had come to hold a vigil outside the hospital for Tsvangirai, as well as journalists and patients waiting to be treated.
The advance team radioed back to Helensvale, Mugabe home, saying the situation was not conducive. What if this was an assasination attempt and the assasins were waiting outside the hospital to hear whether they had succeeded or not?
It was at this point, apparently, that Mugabe's security then advised him to wear a bullet-proof vest.
If you go back to the footage of Mugabe visiting with Tsvangirai, now armed with this new insight, you will notice that Mugabe's suit bulges out and is straighter than normal, almost as if a cushion of air is sewn into its lining.
That is the bullet-proof vest at work.
Apparently Mugabe hates the things, relying mostly on his security which has served him well for years now. The only times he wears these vests is when he has to make a sudden visit to a public place and, I am told, when he visits foreign capitals, especially European and American cities, where he knows he is in enemy territory.
Grace apparently did not get a bullet-proof vest. Maybe they did not think anyone would want to harm her, they would go for the big fish instead. Or perhaps she just could not find the shoes to go with a with a bullet-proof vest.
Previous Articles (Please Click On One To Read The Full Post):
- IS NELSON CHAMISA INCOMPETENT?
- GENERAL CHIWENGWA NOW ISSUING POLITICAL ORDERS
- HOW TSVANGIRAI SURVIVED
- NEW TWIST TO TSVANGIRAI ACCIDENT
- ZIMBABWE'S INTERNET HAS BEEN SWITCHED OFF
- SCENES FROM SUSAN TSVANGIRAI'S BURIAL IN BUHERA
- MUGABE WINS
- RBZ GOVERNOR GIDEON GONO CHASED AWAY FROM PMs HOUSE
- TSVANGIRAI ALIVE AND ALERT - SHOWN ON TV MINUTES AGO
- ROY BENNETT MUST BE WITHDRAWN - THAT'S WHAT MUGABE WANTS
- JESTINA MUKOKO FREED - FIRST PICTURE
- MUGABE CONFIRMS HONG KONG HOUSE - SAYS HE'S RENTING
- TSVANGIRAI SUMMONED TO STATE HOUSE OVER HIS PRESS CONFERENCE
- GENERAL CHIWENGWA vs ROBERT MUGABE
- HOW ROBERT MUGABE AMMASSED A FORTUNE
- PRIME MINISTER IN THE PRESIDENTS OFFICE
- ZIMBABWE TO GET TRUTH COMMISSION
- MUGABE CLAIMS FRESH VIOLENCE AGAINST HIS SUPPORTERS
- MDC-PF - It's Animal Farm All Over Again
- Mugabe Guaranteed Immunity
- Roy Bennett Stays In Jail
- Roy Bennett - Who Is In Charge Of Home Affairs?
- Leave Mugabe Alone, says Tsvangirai
- Roy Bennet Arrested, Ministers Sworn In Anyway
- Defence Force Chiefs Boycott Tsvangirai Inauguration
- Anti-Simba Makoni Alliance Crumbles
- Obamas Secret Message To Mugabe
- Zimbabwe Monetary Policy Highlights
- MDC Dreaming, Say Zimbabwe Foreign Affairs Officials
- MDC Formally Agrees To Join Mugabe In Government
- Mugabe: "I promise you I will never lose an election again."
- Mugabe Settles on Successor
- Why I Blog About Africa And Zimbabwe
- As Zimbabwe Talks Collapse, Dollarisation Now Official
- Grace Mugabe Punched Me Repeatedly - British Journalist
- How SADC and Mugabe Have Boxed-In Morgan Tsvangirai
- 2 year old Freed From Zimbabwe Maximum Security Prison
- Zimbabwe Army Commander Demands Top Government Job