Robert Mugabe's birthday television interview, a tradition every year since the days of Jonathan Moyo, is being broadcast here in Zimbabwe as I write this.
Notably, Mugabe frankly admitted that his daughter, Bona, is staying at the house in Hong Kong (pictured above), "with a friend."
"It's for our girl," said Mugabe, "and her friend, another girl. Then we had to have enough room for, masecurity people, you know."
Mugabe denies that he bought the house, however. He says he is renting it only "for our girl, while she is studying there. When they finish their degrees, then they come back home."
The house was exposed by the London Sunday Times, whose photographer, Richard Jones, had a run-in with Grace Mugabe at the Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong, where the Firt Lady had gone to fetch Bona for her holidays back in Zimbabwe.
She is reported to have puched him repeatedly in the face and head, wit her diamond ring causing bleeding and injuries to the photographer's face and head.
Mugabe says "the Chinese government is looking into the matter" of the expose and the subsequent attention that is now lavished on the house by the media and tourists. He added that he hopes this "invasion of privacy" will then be brought to an end.
Mugabe also spoke about the Attorney General and Gideon Gono, saying they are not going anywhere, he is not going to fire them.
Since it is only he who can fire the two, this is another slap in the Prime Minister's face, who said only yesterday that the issue of the two men and their offices is one of the outstanding issues that would make it "impossible for the transitional government to move forward.
He got his answer tonight.
Previous Articles (Please Click On One To Read The Full Post):
- TSVANGIRAI SUMMONED TO STATE HOUSE OVER HIS PRESS CONFERENCE
- GENERAL CHIWENGWA vs ROBERT MUGABE
- HOW ROBERT MUGABE AMMASSED A FORTUNE
- PRIME MINISTER IN THE PRESIDENTS OFFICE
- ZIMBABWE TO GET TRUTH COMMISSION
- MUGABE CLAIMS FRESH VIOLENCE AGAINST HIS SUPPORTERS
- MDC-PF - It's Animal Farm All Over Again
- Mugabe Guaranteed Immunity
- Tendai Biti Working For Simba Makoni?
- Zimbabwe: The Chess Game Is Now In The Open
- Mugabe and Tsvangirai In First Cabinet Meeting
- Roy Bennett Stays In Jail
- Roy Bennett - Who Is In Charge Of Home Affairs?
- Leave Mugabe Alone, says Tsvangirai
- Roy Bennet Arrested, Ministers Sworn In Anyway
- Defence Force Chiefs Boycott Tsvangirai Inauguration
- Anti-Simba Makoni Alliance Crumbles
- Obamas Secret Message To Mugabe
- The Facts Behind The "Firing" Of Simba Makoni
- Zimbabwe Monetary Policy Highlights
- Gono Refuses To Pay US$22 000 Debt
- Mugabe Explains Why He Won't Go
- MDC Dreaming, Say Zimbabwe Foreign Affairs Officials
- MDC Formally Agrees To Join Mugabe In Government
- Right Again! Budget Announces Full Official Dollarisation
- Mugabe: "I promise you I will never lose an election again."
- Mugabe Settles on Successor
- Why I Blog About Africa And Zimbabwe
- As Zimbabwe Talks Collapse, Dollarisation Now Official
- Grace Mugabe Punched Me Repeatedly - British Journalist
- How SADC and Mugabe Have Boxed-In Morgan Tsvangirai
- 2 year old Freed From Zimbabwe Maximum Security Prison
- Zimbabwe Army Commander Demands Top Government Job