Tsvangirai and Mugabe sat and chatted amicably at Heroes Acre Today, with Mugabe once again referring to his former foe as the "Honourable Prime Minister", thanking him for attending the ceremony and saying, "That is at it should be." But in his speech, Mugabe resurrected the ghost of Gukurahundi with his words, which were echoing the political orders issued by his top commander on Thirsday
The last time Robert Mugabe uttered the words "enemies of Zimbabwe" in reference to his own citizens, we ended up with more than 20 000 people in Matabeleland. The words triggered a genocidal orgy of violence that even Mugabe has called a "moment of madness." Gukurahundi.
Of course, the leader of that momentary state madness is today the Commander of the Zimbabwe Air Force, but that is another matter entirely.
Today Mugabe uttered those words again, describing those who continue with the "recent violence" as " enemies of Zimbabwe."
This echoes the words of General Chiwegwa on Thursday, who demanded that the recent violence stop. Chiwengwa went even further and named the areas he was referring to, just in case somebody got him wrong and actually thought he was speaking out against ZANU PF thuggery.
This is where the real significance of these two statements lies. You will recall that I explained in detail to you here how Mugabe intended to isolate Tsvangirai in office while cracking down on and decimating the MDC as a political force.
Well, all of the violence we have been told of in the last three weeks or so is said to be meted out by MDC supporters against ZANU PF supporters. I told you of the Mbare MDC supporters who were kicked out of their homes by ZANU PF supporters, who then moved in and took over the houes.
The MDC supporters went back to reclaim their homes after Tsvagirai was sworn in and they were arrested and sent to jail, where they remain pending a bail hearing.
Ask yourself this: Did you hear the highest ranking commander of the defence forces call for a stop to violence during the June 27 bloody run-off? No. And now, in a move unprecedented in our state, he, a soldier, is now issuing political orders? He is targeting opposition supporters who we are told by the state media are behind the beatings of ZANU PF supporters all over the countryside in the last three weeks.
The supporters of ZANU PF who have been the "victims" of this "violence" have been uncharactistically restrained, do you not think? There has been no retaliation, when we know that ZANU PF suppporters mete out instant and disproportionate retaliation to any isult, let alone beatings.
They are restrained because theirs is simply a role, a cog in the wheel of the larger strategy. "Vengeance is mine, sayeth Chiwengwa". So they should leave the retaliation to the guys with the guns.
Now that the banditry case is crumbling around their ears, this presents a new opportunity to find an excuse to crack down hard on the MDC in the rural areas. But it will be disguised as cracking down on violence and thuggish elements who have made themselves outlaws.
"Enemies of Zimbabwe." That is a heavy statemet to come from Robert Mugabe, like I said. What will it lead to this time, especially seeing as the Commander of the Defence Forces has also now publicly come out to basically declare where his political sympathies lie.
Previous Articles (Please Click On One To Read The Full Post):
- HOW TSVANGIRAI SURVIVED
- NEW TWIST TO TSVANGIRAI ACCIDENT
- ZIMBABWE'S INTERNET HAS BEEN SWITCHED OFF
- SCENES FROM SUSAN TSVANGIRAI'S BURIAL IN BUHERA
- MUGABE WINS
- RBZ GOVERNOR GIDEON GONO CHASED AWAY FROM PMs HOUSE
- TSVANGIRAI ALIVE AND ALERT - SHOWN ON TV MINUTES AGO
- ROY BENNETT MUST BE WITHDRAWN - THAT'S WHAT MUGABE WANTS
- JESTINA MUKOKO FREED - FIRST PICTURE
- MUGABE CONFIRMS HONG KONG HOUSE - SAYS HE'S RENTING
- TSVANGIRAI SUMMONED TO STATE HOUSE OVER HIS PRESS CONFERENCE
- GENERAL CHIWENGWA vs ROBERT MUGABE
- HOW ROBERT MUGABE AMMASSED A FORTUNE
- PRIME MINISTER IN THE PRESIDENTS OFFICE
- ZIMBABWE TO GET TRUTH COMMISSION
- MUGABE CLAIMS FRESH VIOLENCE AGAINST HIS SUPPORTERS
- MDC-PF - It's Animal Farm All Over Again
- Mugabe Guaranteed Immunity
- Roy Bennett Stays In Jail
- Roy Bennett - Who Is In Charge Of Home Affairs?
- Leave Mugabe Alone, says Tsvangirai
- Roy Bennet Arrested, Ministers Sworn In Anyway
- Defence Force Chiefs Boycott Tsvangirai Inauguration
- Anti-Simba Makoni Alliance Crumbles
- Obamas Secret Message To Mugabe
- Zimbabwe Monetary Policy Highlights
- MDC Dreaming, Say Zimbabwe Foreign Affairs Officials
- MDC Formally Agrees To Join Mugabe In Government
- Mugabe: "I promise you I will never lose an election again."
- Mugabe Settles on Successor
- Why I Blog About Africa And Zimbabwe
- As Zimbabwe Talks Collapse, Dollarisation Now Official
- Grace Mugabe Punched Me Repeatedly - British Journalist
- How SADC and Mugabe Have Boxed-In Morgan Tsvangirai
- 2 year old Freed From Zimbabwe Maximum Security Prison
- Zimbabwe Army Commander Demands Top Government Job