Morgan Tsvangirai visiting cholera victims at a Harare hospital earlier today
I was discussing Morgan Tsvangirai's "null and void" statement with Dr Makoni yesterday afternoon and was struck by a comment he made with regards to the tone of this statement.
"Iyi yangova "ndinogarira vana vangu iyi" - there is no love there anymore, I will just stay on in the marriage for my kids".
As he said, the MDC seem to have decided now that since they are in for a penny, they might as well be in for a pound. There is no withdrawal from the government. They may collect evidence to present to SADC in six months' time, but that is all they can do at the moment as Mugabe and ZANU PF stomp on the spirit and even the letter of the agreement.
Latest news from here in Zimbabwe says the MDC, after their executive council met today in Harare, are not entirely sure how to react to the arrests of their supporters and leaders by "some people". This is supposed to be the government, yet it appears unaware of who is arresting or ordering the arrests of its own senior members?
Just what on earth is going on here?
The answer is simple enough. A mistaken (mis)statement on the eve of joining government is the root of all the troubles bedevilling the MDC in government.
You will recall that Tsvangirai went before the press to announce that their decision to go into government was simply a tactic "to continue the struggle on another front". In other words, fighting from within.
Take that in for a moment.
Now do you realise just how silly that was?
The MDC announced that it was going into government not to govern, but to oppose. Oppose what? The PM is said to be in charge of policy implementation. So has he gone into government to oppose Policy Implementation?
It is a curious state of affairs, don't you think? And how exactly did Tsvangirai and his Executive think ZANU PF would react to this waving of a red rag? "Ah well, in that case, you'd better come in then, make sure you sharpen the knives first."?
Mugabe has bluntly told the Politburo of ZANU PF what he thinks the MDC are up to. He says they came into the agreement only to show SADC that it will not work. Therefore, Mugabe sees no goodwill fron the MDC. Which means he sees no sense in making any effort.
Because he is a plotter, he also minutely dissects the MDC actions and reads the worst into them. For example, he sees the move by Biti to give soldiers US$100 "allowances" as a ploy to buy the lower ranks of the defence forces. He has stated this so openly that his sentiment has since got back to Tsvangirai.
Mugabe thinks Biti will come unstuck on this because there is no money to sustain it. I believe he knows he will behave atrociously all the way through to this GNU's political grave, and will make no effort whatsoever to be conciliatory to the West in any respect. Which will mean no aid or balance of payment support.
The Zimbabwe Impunity Licencing Board, chaired by one Robert Mugabe, operates in a very peculiar way, you see: Survival of the fittest. As long as Mugabe's own power is not threatened, he prefers the Hitlerian sort of leadership, where you let your underlings slug it out and at the end of it all, you then embrace the one still standing.
This is how Mugabe is treating the frustrations that are being visited on the MDC by his own underlings. He will watch, not lifting a finger and see who emerges triumphant. That will be the one he backs.
The odds are stacked in favour of the lawbreakers, the merchants of Zimbabwe's misery, unfortunately, when you carry this thing through to its logical conclusion.
They, within ZANU PF, have usurped the institutions of the state. Not only have they corrupted them, but they have also debased them.This is primarily because Mugabe, as he himself has said, is an avowed apostle of Marxism/Leninism. He wants a one-party state still.
He and ZANU PF are The Borg (for Star Trek Fans): "We will assimilate you, those who do not wish to be assimilated will be destroyed, resistance is futile"
Morgan Tsvangirai and his people were right to go into this thing girded up for battle. But they were wrong in announcing their intentions. Ambush is always the best form of attack.
It is too late now, though. They have been spotted.
So, in essence, then, from the outset, the MDC looked at this as an opportunity to be an opposition from within government, which then made ZANU PF look at the whole thing as an attack on itself, badly disguised.
This is the root of the unnecessary and completely destructive game of "arrest the minister" that is now being played.
They are only just getting started.
Previous Articles (Please Click On One To Read The Full Post):
- MUGABE AND TSVANGIRAI PLAN TO UNDERMINE DEMOCRACY
- MUGABE CONFIRMS HONG KONG HOUSE - SAYS HE'S RENTING
- TSVANGIRAI SUMMONED TO STATE HOUSE OVER HIS PRESS CONFERENCE
- GENERAL CHIWENGWA vs ROBERT MUGABE
- HOW ROBERT MUGABE AMMASSED A FORTUNE
- PRIME MINISTER IN THE PRESIDENTS OFFICE
- ZIMBABWE TO GET TRUTH COMMISSION
- MUGABE CLAIMS FRESH VIOLENCE AGAINST HIS SUPPORTERS
- MDC-PF - It's Animal Farm All Over Again
- Mugabe Guaranteed Immunity
- Tendai Biti Working For Simba Makoni?
- Zimbabwe: The Chess Game Is Now In The Open
- Mugabe and Tsvangirai In First Cabinet Meeting
- Roy Bennett Stays In Jail
- Roy Bennett - Who Is In Charge Of Home Affairs?
- Leave Mugabe Alone, says Tsvangirai
- Roy Bennet Arrested, Ministers Sworn In Anyway
- Defence Force Chiefs Boycott Tsvangirai Inauguration
- Anti-Simba Makoni Alliance Crumbles
- Obamas Secret Message To Mugabe
- The Facts Behind The "Firing" Of Simba Makoni
- Zimbabwe Monetary Policy Highlights
- Gono Refuses To Pay US$22 000 Debt
- Mugabe Explains Why He Won't Go
- MDC Dreaming, Say Zimbabwe Foreign Affairs Officials
- MDC Formally Agrees To Join Mugabe In Government
- Right Again! Budget Announces Full Official Dollarisation
- Mugabe: "I promise you I will never lose an election again."
- Mugabe Settles on Successor
- Why I Blog About Africa And Zimbabwe
- As Zimbabwe Talks Collapse, Dollarisation Now Official
- Grace Mugabe Punched Me Repeatedly - British Journalist
- How SADC and Mugabe Have Boxed-In Morgan Tsvangirai
- 2 year old Freed From Zimbabwe Maximum Security Prison
- Zimbabwe Army Commander Demands Top Government Job