Zimbabwe is in the latest news from the USA again. Secretary of State Hilary Clinton announced through her spokesman yesterday that the Obama Administration was "reviewing the overrall situation in Zimbabwe". This was in response to a journalist who asked whether the Obama Administration's approach would be different to the Bush one, which "was to increasingly isolate Mugabe by imposing more sanctions on him..."
In the same press conference, Woods also told reporters that, "We have encouraged South Africa to do as much as it can to put pressure on Mugabe to do the right thing. But to date, Mugabe does not seem to have any interest whatsoever in bringing an end to the crisis. The regime has no interest in trying to bring about good governance and democractic government."
"We are very troubled," said the Clinton spokesman, "by the fact that the Mugabe regime refuses to negotiate seriously with the opposition.
Senator Clinton is very focused on this issue. She is very concerned about it. Obviously we are going to be reviewing the situation in Southern Africa to see what we can do."
The striking thing here is the expression of an intent to act. To DO something.
Wood urged SADC, and especially South Africa, to put more pressure on both Zimbabwean parties to reach and agreement.
Perhaps much hope should not be put into this. It is likely that the dialogue of the deaf between Robert Mugabe's regime and the American government will continue as if Bush never left. As I write this, the talks are said to be unlikely to yield any result.
An MDC spokesman told reporters in South Africa just before 4 p.m. on Monday afternoon that the parties were now further apart than they had been before Monday's summit.
The story is from Reuters
Previous Articles (Please Click On One To Read The Full Article):
- Mugabe: "I promise you I will never lose an election again."
- All Zimbabwe Dollar Accounts To Be Converted Into Hard Currency
- Mugabe Settles on Successor
- Why I Blog About Africa And Zimbabwe
- As Zimbabwe Talks Collapse, Dollarisation Now Official
- Grace Mugabe Punched Me Repeatedly - British Journalist
- How SADC and Mugabe Have Boxed-In Morgan Tsvangirai
- Mugabe Prepares To Arrest Tsvangirai
- 2 year old Freed From Zimbabwe Maximum Security Prison
- Jestina Mukoko - Real Reasons For Arrest Revealed
- Zimbabwe Approaches South Africa To Officially Use The Rand
- Russian Troops To Move Into Zimbabwe
- Zimbabwe Army Commander Demands Top Government Job